Monday, September 21, 2009

Grandmum

As usual, i have been keeping lots of loose papers around, as i was clearing up some of these "gems" i found one of those, so interesting and touching. I do not know where is the source, but i just share this letter piece of joy with everyone.

15. Look Beyond
I like the way children write. Here is an essay by an eight-year-old child.
'A grandmother is a lady who has no children of her own, so she likes other people's boys and girls. Grandmas don't have anything to do except be there. If they take us for walks they slow down past prety leaves and caterpillars. they never say, "Hurry up." Usually they are fat but not too fat to tie shoes. They wear glasses, and sometimes they can take their teeth out.
'They can answer questions like why dogs hate cats and why God isn't married. They don't talk visitors' talk like visitors do which is hard to understand. When they read to us they don't skip words or mind if it is the same story again.
'Everybody should try to have grandma, especially if you don't have television, because grandmas are the only grown-ups who always have time.'

Happily, there are many grandmothers in the world as wonderful as this child's grandmother-hwo take time with their children's children, who are looking beyond and giving these little ones real food for their souls. I know one grandmother who has taken a course in story telling ' so i can make the Bible more exciting for my grandchildren', she explained. " used to play grames with the youngsters when they'd come and spend a night, but since I've improved my story telling technique, they want stories instead of games.' She smiled, 'I've never pored over the Bible in my whole life as I have in the past year, and it gets more interesting to me every time I pick it up.'
I asked her how she studied the Bible.
'I use all the help I can get,' she said/ 'I'm no scholar. I'm thankful for every work Matthew Henry wrote, as well as Spurgeon, F.B. Meyer, G. Campbell Morgan, and Martin Luther. Then I use modern transaltons and paraphrases. They are such a help.'
We ddin't get much further with our talk, because the house began to fill up with Children.
'All theses are your grandchildren?' I asked.
'Oh, no,' she laughed. 'They asked last week if they courld invite a few friends, and I see they have!'
As it said in the essay, 'Everybody should try to have a grandma'; a grandmother like my friend who is sharing the best she knows with her grandchildren and their friends. It was Phillip Brooks who wrote.
'Certainly, in our own little sphere it is not the most active people to whom we own the most. It is the lives, like the stars, which simply power down on us the calm light of their bright and faithful being, up to which we look and out of which we gather the deepest calm and courage...
No man or woman of the humblest sort can really be strong, gentle, pure and good, without the world being better for it, without somebody being helped and comforted by teh very existence of that goodness. I am thankful I had grandmothers like that who always had time for the little ones.

No comments: