Thursday, June 04, 2009

Zech:hongyee 1st 42Km - I always think is impossible.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Seow Eng for such a good encourager. It was my first 42km. All these while, I have not been training very much, the most I clock was 10km. Before the race, I did a carbo load for a week, and hydrated myself for the whole day. I did a 21km before and I knew for this 42 km can be quite crazy, because after running 21km, you still have another 21 to go. In the end due to the lack of training, preparation and planning, it cause my both leg to be extreme pain.

During the race, I managed to complete the first 21km in 2hr10min, but after crossing the bridge, my leg cramped, I tried to stretch and massage, but it didn’t help much as I jogged. In order to prevent the cramp, I have to use other muscle group to work for me, which is walk. Hahahaha! So I struggled with the cramp, and walked for the next 21km. Every single step was pain, also means a decision to complete the race or not. At times, especially in Tampines, the temptation of walking back is great. I told myself cannot give up, as what my friend has told me, you will feel everything is possible in life, once you finished the marathon.

There is always a lesson to learn in everything in life, but the lesson is engraved into you more when you are in pain or stress, because it comes with a price. For this marathon I learned that, never underestimate the distance of 42km, even you can complete 21km. Second, to go through a long journey happily, you have to plan, discipline in your training, and discipline in sticking to your plan. I love to run fast and complete, but to run a marathon, you have to control your urge to run fast, else you will not be able to run far. So discipline in sticking to your plan is very important.


So guys and gals, as for now, the backlash for my poor planning, training and lack of discipline, I have walked in pain for the past 2 days and my speed of walking decreases 4 times my normal walking speed, even old man walk faster than me now. Sigh!!

But at least I have completed my first 42KM. Hooray, looking forward for my next one. 


.:There is More to just a Run:.
Being a Christian is never been easy for me, because i am the first generation of Christian in my family. I used to be a Buddhist. Now i am a Child of Christ. From this run, God showed me more, He had always been there for me, plans for me before i born, just that i made that choice to be with God and chose Him. Choosing Him is not easy, carrying the cross everyday is just like the run. You have to first make the step to register the run, which is acknowledging him as the Lord and Savior, then you have to discipline in your training, which is prayer and Quiet Time. You have to stick to your plan for not running faster, which is to have faith in God.

After doing all these, is the journey. The lesser your preparation, the more pain and temptation will comes along the way. Like me, the temptation of me going back home when i was in Tampines. The pain i had suffered. So as Christian, if we lacked of the discipline, lesser preparation, when all these temptation and pain creeps in, you will fall, you will feel more pain.

Despite of all these, i had finished the race, because i did not give in to the temptation and pain for every steps i took. But the most important of all is, i took the first step to register the run, else i wouldn't be able to say that i finished the run.

God Bless, hongyee: Zech

No comments: